Wednesday, November 21, 2007

NEXT

Saw this book in the store last week, bought it on impulse (I've enjoyed most of Dr. Crichton's work so far), and spent the next 3 consecutive nights reading it. Since then, I've been swishing the concepts back and forth in my mind.

I'm not sure I agree with all of the conclusions he comes to, and the style of writing was a bit confusing to me at first, but overall I think the story was good. It certainly sparked thought.

My first conclusion: I fully support his argument to ban all gene patents. This is a trend which can only lead to disaster.

Second: I do not want a puppy that never grows up.

Third: I would like to learn more about African Grey Parrots. I don't think I would like to own one, since they require as much care as a human child, if not more. But, the idea of a bird with intelligence as great as a chimpanzee is intriguing.

Again, a good read. I recommend it.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Chimera said...

I love Crichton's books! He has the knack of using and explaining enough real technology to lead you to think that his fictional stuff is not only possible, but just around the corner. Or maybe already in use.

1:56 PM  
Blogger Howlin' Hobbit said...

erm... the book is titled Next? I'm not clear on that from the post.

Love Crichton. Will read anything he puts out.

2:47 PM  
Blogger M. B. Dezotell said...

Yep. Sorry for the confusion.

"Next" is the title of the novel.

4:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home