Sunday, September 11, 2005

A Good Read (If a bit long)

Click on the link above for a bit of commentary from the Toronto Globe and Mail.

Welcome to September 11, 2005.

I woke up this morning to a power outage. I distinctly remembered paying the electric bill, so I was a bit puzzled as I went about the place flipping light switches to no avail. I wandered down the stairs to my front door - no tag left by PSE - then out back to the meters - all four apartments showed blank. Mmmm. Same with the neighbors.

Clearly the entire city was without power - no doubt due to a terrorist attack!

I called Puget Sound Energy with my cell phone to get the scoop, while scanning with my car radio for any news on the attack. (Who knew there could be so many classical music stations in one city?) A service representative came on line and explained that a wayward balloon from a church festival this morning had broken loose and caused a transformer to short out, leaving over 900 citizens without power. Crews were at work and should have power restored within a few hours.

Indeed, power was restored - along with my internet connection - within the hour. No terrorists bombing Bellingham.

I am almost disappointed, but mostly relieved.

Thanks!

2 Comments:

Blogger Chimera said...

Dez, that comment right above here is from an autospammer.

You're going to keep getting this crap unless you turn on the word verification tool on your Blogger dashboard.

Yeah, it's a pain doing the vrification thing every time, but the autospammers can't get through it.

11:30 PM  
Blogger M. B. Dezotell said...

Okay. That seems like a reasonable precaution.

12:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home